Friday, September 7, 2012

The real masterchef

My friends say that I am a good chef. Reason being I treat them often with different experimental food which they rejoice. But I know that I am just a cook who understands taste. There were many cases, where I cooked something and it tasted like shit, but I somehow managed to save the day by adding something on top of it and equalize the taste. That's how I became the chef. People say I got it from my dad, he cooks amazing though. Some say necessity while staying out of home made me this, well too some extent that too, but the person who got me interested in cooking is my friend Kallal, the real master chef.

Kallal was a good cook from the day I knew him. Whenever there's a school picnic, Kallal always used to be the one to cook meat. and his sense of spices were accurate, be it for 4 people or 40, spices were always perfect. He defined the proper Indian meat curry. There was one incident I'll always remember. We had a feast in our house where my classmates from our English teacher's batch gathered and we all were playing and swimming. Kallal was cooking from morning. When the food was ready, he blew our head with the taste. It was damn tasty. Everyone took second and third helping. My friend Aryabhatta, could never eat spicy stuff, he loved the chicken so much, that after his first helping, though tears ran down his cheeks because of the spice, he couldnt help saying " Kallalda, arektu mangsho hobe?' ( Kallal, can I have some more meat?)


Kallal legacy was known everywhere, even when he moved to Bangalore he was famous for his food. This photo is from the Commits college canteen where, one fine Sunday, Kallal the stud, wanted to make chicken to impress the girls. I'm pretty sure he did. At least the photo suggests he did. But I always wondered why Sahana (the extreme right one) is not looking at the dish, when she loved to eat. And why Kirti (extreme left) is so happy when she was a vegetarian. Maybe it was the salad. Nevertheless, Kallal still cooks and it will stay as his passion, But seeing him cook was what inspired me to try and experiment with food. His precision, timing and perfection is what I wanted to achieve, but being Kallal was never easy and will never be. I miss his dishes, sometimes. I hope he cooks the same now. Oh, by the way, the dish he made that day, looked like this. YUMMY........

1 comment: